May 15, 2008

Belize and Guatemala

Over Christmas break 2007, I took a quick two week run down to Belize and Guatemala to escape the chilly Oregon winter. My thoughts on both countries:

Belize: if you like the beach and want a short, cheap, and somewhat exotic trip from the USA, I can't recommend Belize enough. The country has an awesome mix of jungles, beaches, and spectacular underwater scenery - I spent about half my trip on, in, or right next to the water, much of that with a snorkel in my mouth. The diving wasn't quite as good as in Egypt, but it's a whole lot closer and easier to get to. Belize generally has good food, as long as you like rice and beans (and cheap lobster!), and it's not too expensive although definitely it's a lot pricer than Guatemala. I probably won't go back, as I discovered that I'm not much of a beach person, but it was fun nonetheless.

Guatemala: I only spent three days in Guatemala, all at the Mayan historic site Tikal and the nearby city of Flores, so I can't really comment on the country as a whole. But, what I saw was fantastic. It had long been a dream of mine to climb a Mayan pyramid - I got chills sitting atop Templo IV at Tikal all alone watching the sunset, with monkeys and birds rustling in the canopy all around. That one hour was worth the whole trip. Plus, Guatemala was cheap, had great food, and it was really fun to use my Spanish again (I definitely got a sense of nostalgia for South America...). I'll be going back someday to Guatemala to see the rest of this beautiful country.








No comments: