May 15, 2008

My New Home

After returning from Iceland in September 2007, I moved from California, where I had lived for the previous five years, to take a new job in Portland, Oregon. I desperately needed a change of scenery... and, even more desperately, a full time job after two years of piecing together a part-time living between trips.

I've been in Portland for nearly a year now, and I've never felt so "at home" anywhere before, a bold statement considering all the places I've lived. Yes, the weather stinks sometimes, but the outdoors opportunities within two hours of my apartment are virtually endless. I've been devoting a lot of my time to getting to know my new home, and have no international travel plans for the immediate future, although the direct Portland-to-Tokyo flight is tempting.

Here's a shot of Mt. Hood, my local peak, that I took on my first Oregon hike after moving up here.


No comments: